- Watling Street
- WD7 7JJ
St John's Church
For details of services at St John's Church
please see our Special Services & Events page.
(At the moment they occur now and then!)
Update 18 October
St John's Church was dedicated by the Bishop of St Albans on Sunday 15 October. It is now officially open!
The site is still a building site, however, while the three houses are being built. These will be completed in 2024. The flats are nearly ready for occupancy.
Update 12 September
The Church and Hall complex is now up and running! Praise the Lord! There are a few items to sort out so please be patient with us during this settling in period.
Update end May 2023
- St John's church and hall, and the associated flats have now moved into the final phase of being fitted out internally
- The solar panels are on, the green roof between the church and flats is in place, "first fix" electrics and plumbing are in progress, and plasterboarding of the church is almost complete
- External landscaping is being finalised and work is still on schedule for the building to be complete by the end of August
- We are looking forward to welcoming into the new building current and new community organisations from September, and a formal commissioning service will be held in October
- Three two-bedroomed flats will also be available for shared ownership, to be managed via Watford Community Housing Association
- The next phase will also begin, to provide three three-bedroomed houses, again for shared ownership
- We need chairs for the new building, and if anyone would like to donate a chair (£80 buys a chair), please ....
Update February 2023:
- The roof should be completed by the end of February and the windows by the end of March.
- The bad weather in December and January hampered building work. The extreme cold and the pouring rain meant that it was impossible to continue with the brickwork. But February has been kinder and the brickwork is finished.
- Solar panels are being put up on the church roof for environmental as well as financial reasons.
- The church and hall should be operational by the beginning of September. This means that those organisations currently using the temporary building will be able to move into the new space. These include Christ Church Nursery, St John's Brownies and Radlett Musical Theatre Company. With both church and hall available, we have space for more local organisations and would be delighted to serve the needs of the local community.
- Two two-bedroomed flats should be available shortly afterwards. They are affordable housing units, and the criteria for accessing them should shortly be agreed between Hertsmere and the church.
- We will need chairs to sit on! If anyone is willing to fund a chair, details are available here. Thank you.
Hertsmere Borough Council and the Parochial Church Council (PCC) of Radlett are to re-develop St John's Church site, in order to provide a new church and hall for the community and six units of affordable accommodation (three flats and three terraced houses).
The PCC believes this is a God-given opportunity, benefiting everyone:
- the church in gaining new buildings to replace increasingly costly and “non-green” ones
- the community in gaining a new hall and affordable accommodation so that, for instance, local schools might have teachers who can live in Radlett
- Hertsmere Borough Council which has been able to re-invest “Section 106” monies (derived from the large houses and apartments recently built in Radlett) back into “the village”
Hertsmere, who are providing the construction funds for the project, have appointed TSG Building Services as contractor. TSG started work on site in July 2021. A detailed programme has been agreed, including site preparation, the provision of a new access point, and the delivery of the temporary accommodation for the church and nursery in early August. The current site has been split into two, allowing church services and some community activities (including Christ Church Nursery) to re-start in the temporary accommodation. The new church and hall are planned be completed and in use from May 2023 and the houses a year later.
TSG is a well-regarded local building services and construction company, headquartered in Potters Bar and with links in Radlett. We will work closely with them to ensure continuing harmonious relations with the community around the site, and a successful project to benefit Radlett.
Jeremy Newton, St John's Church Development Co-ordinator
Updated February 2022
Further details can be found on the Hertsmere website at https://www.hertsmere.gov.uk/Planning--Building-Control/Planning-Applications/Search-and-comment-on-planning-applications.aspx